Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Writing for Lent: a blog reawakening


Happy Shrove Tuesday, Folks.  It’s the day before Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent (once again I recommend this site for basic information on church seasons).  It’s hard to believe.  It’s also hard to believe that the last time I wrote for this blog was September … sorry about that.  I said I’d keep you posted on how my last year is going and that year is almost over.   I’ve never quite shaken the mood that all I’m doing is for “the last time’ but I’ve taken that thought and tried to stay focused and present in all that I’ve done so that I (hopefully) don’t take any interaction for granted so it’s been a good exercise in abiding in the time I’m in. 
One of the highlights for me for the Fall Term was getting to meet and talk with Fleming Rutledge (http://www.generousorthodoxy.org/) .  I shared with her my passion for writing (a passion taken over by writing for school assignments lately) and she asked if I had a blog.  I told her yes but I didn’t write for it as much as I’d like.  Her advice to me was to take it more seriously and write for it regularly.  That has stayed with me and I’ve made several pseudo-starts in the past months.  There are a number of half begun postings in the “blog” folder on my laptop.  As I was praying and meditating over how I would observe Lent, this is what kept coming to mind.  So, my Lenten discipline this year will be writing for my blog.  And, I don’t mean discipline as punishment but as a practice that will help shape my character and deepen my relationship with God (and perhaps give you a nugget or two to think about).  I commit to at a minimum twice a week - Wednesday s and Saturdays.  And I ask you to help keep me accountable to this commitment. 
In other news: my ordination date has been set.  God willing and the people consenting, I’ll be ordained a deacon in the Episcopal Church of the United States on June 11 at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in San Antonio.  I also know my first assignment.  As of July 1, I’ll be the Assistant to the Rector at St. John’s Episcopal Church in McAllen, Texas.  This past weekend at our annual Diocesan Council, I was able to spend time with the Rector and some of the folks from St. John’s and I look forward to being a part of that community.  God’s grace and abundance continue to overwhelm me.
May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Love of God , and the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all, evermore. Amen.
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment